Set of Twelve T-Chairs in Black Leather by Katavolos Kelly and Littell
Katavolos, Kelley and Littell, set of 12 T-chairs, chrome-plated steel, enameled steel and leather, United States, 1952.
This set designed by Katavolos, Kelley and Littell of elegant and playful three-legged chairs seems almost too delicate to sit in. But in fact these sensuous chairs are very strong. The chairs are curvy and sculptural and feature wonderful detailing in both seat and legs. The leather is connected to the frame on three points only resulting in a floating seat. The steel frame holds the leather by means of three separate T-shaped metal rods that are connected via a black connective T. Hence the nickname T-chair.
In 1952 William Katavolos, Douglas Kelley and Ross Littell, graduates of The Pratt Institute in New York embarked on a six year collaboration in designing textiles, dinnerware and furniture at Laverne which was established in 1938. One of their most popular designs was the T-chair. The chair is in the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.