Pierre Chapo pair of 'S38A' benches solid elm France 1960s
Pierre Chapo, pair of 'S38A' benches, solid elm, France, 1960s
This pair of ‘S38A’ benches are designed by Pierre Chapo in the 1960s. A soft, warm all-over patina is visible on the wood on this particular pair. This emphasizes the natural expression of these items. These benches are another great example of the quality and craftsmanship of Pierre Chapo. The shape of the base creates a very open look and makes this an object to make a space more interesting. The perfectly made solid wood joints, also shown on the side of the top with double connection made of solid elmwood, are true Chapo trademarks.
Please note that the price is per item, not for the set.
Pierre Chapo (1927-1987) was born in a family of craftsmen and trained as an architect in Paris. After spending many years traveling through south and north America he and his partner Nicole set up Société Chapo, an architectural research consultancy and interior design firm. In 1958 they opened their famous gallery at 14 Boulevard de l'Hopital. Chapo's work originated by means of special commissions that could later be adapted to universal needs. Chapo was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's balanced lines, Corbusier's research on proportions and the minimalist tendencies of Bauhaus. Societe Chapo was a design workshop and gallery in one where Nicole presented ceramics, textiles and other design by the great designers of the day. The three principles that motivated Pierre Chapo were 'material, form, and function.' He measured his furniture by means of golden ratio and used elm wood as his preferred material.
Magen, H. Gallery. Pierre Chapo. A Modern Craftsman. New York, 2017, p. 248.