Pair of BBPR Lounge Chairs in Burgundy Leatherette
BBPR, pair of armchairs, skai leather and walnut, Italy, 1950s. This sculptural pair of lounge chairs are clearly a design by the architects of BBPR. The model with a wide seat has the characteristic, sculptural frame. The tapered and titled legs with sharp edges are typical for the designers. The sculpted seat contains a high back with space between the upholstered back and the frame, a beautiful detail. The red colour of the skai leather forms a warm combination with the walnut wood. BBPR was an architectural partnership founded by Gianluigi Banfi (1910-1945), Lodovico Barbiano di Belgiojoso (1909-2004), Enrico Peressutti (1908-1976) and Ernesto Nathan Rogers (1909-1969). BBPR was thus an acrononym formed from the first letters of their family names. The partnership was founded in opposition to Fascism and they wanted to develop a style that had no references to contemporary politics. During WW II, Gianluigi Banfi died in the camps of the Nazi's whereas the others where also severely defined by this era. They also strongly reacted against the International Style by enriching their buildings with medieval references.