Early Pierre Chapo Version 'B17' Bibliothèque in Solid Elm
Pierre Chapo, bibliothèque, model no. B17, elm, France, 1960s.
This is a rare and large model 'B17' - shelves designed by Pierre Chapo. It is the largest version of this quintessential piece by Chapo. The shelving system was created in 1967 were is was presented at the Salon des Arts Ménagers. This robust and solid bookcase consist of four elm shelves that rest under brackets. Normally, brackets are used underneath the shelves, yet Chapo decided to play with these rules and made sure that the supports fit perfectly into the uprights. For this reason, the supports work more as bookends than as supports. This wall unit frees up a lot of living space. The bookshelves are in the Campagne style of which Chapo was an important exponent, together with Charlotte Perriand.
Pierre Chapo (1927-1987) was born in a family of craftsmen and trained as an architect in Paris. After spending many years traveling through south and North America him and his partner Nicole set up Société Chapo, an architectural research consultancy and interior design firm. In 1958 they opened their famous gallery at 14 Boulevard de l'Hopital. Chapo's work originated by means of special commissions that could later be adapted to universal needs. Chapo was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's balanced lines, Corbusier's research on proportions and Bauhaus. Societe Chapo was a design workshop and gallery in one where Nicole presented ceramics, textiles and other design by the great designers of the day. The three principles that motivated Pierre Chapo were 'material, form, and function.' He measured his furniture by means of golden ratio and used elmwood as his preferred material.