BBPR Pair of Lounge Chairs in Burgundy Leatherette
BBPR, pair of armchairs, skai leather and walnut, Italy, 1950s
This sculptural pair of lounge chaise are unmistakenly a design by the architects of BBPR. The model with a wide seat with the characteristic, sculptural frame. The tapered and titled legs with sharp edges are typical. The sculpted seat contains a high back with space between the upholstered back and the frame, a beautiful detail.
BBPR was an architectural partnership founded by Gianluigi Banfi (1910-1945), Lodovico Barbiano di Belgiojoso (1909-2004), Enrico Peressutti (1908-1976) and Ernesto Nathan Rogers (1909-1969). BBPR was thus an acrononym formed from the first letters of their family names. The partnership was founded in opposition to Fascism and they wanted to develop a style that had no references to contemporary politics. During WW II, Gianluigi Banfi died in the camps of the Nazi's whereas the others where also severely defined by this era. They also strongly reacted against the International style by enriching their buildings with medieval references.